Welcome!

Welcome to theopinionatedinternet.blogspot.com, a whirling hotpot of political opinion, poetry, prose, philosophy, reviewing, and other assorted wild ramblings! Here you will find: PWN, Grand Reviewer and assistant thinker; JAFHR, head of Philosophy, Literature, and Ambassador for France; JHWW, critic/comic materialist; and iTech, computer technician, pilot-in-the-making and co-politician. Fare Thee Well!


Pour les Francophones

Cher Lecteur/lectrice,
Nous vous souhaitons la bienvenue A notre blog, L'Internet Dogmatique. Vous trouverez ici tout votre bonheur- Literature, Philosophie, Politique, Revues, Technologie... Par dessus tout, vous trouverez des opinions. Ne manquez pas a publiez le votre!
Pour rendre tout cet Anglais lisible, traduisez simplement cette page en utilisant le gadget que vous trouverez sur votre droite, un peu en bas. Nous regrettons que cette traduction est rarement exacte; il serait peut-etre plus sage d'utiliser ce blog pour pratiquer votre Anglais.
Bien le Bonjour, Messires et Demoiselles,
JAFHR, le Fou Francophone.

Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Five Best Video Game Soundtracks of All Time


Need I even explain this? Sure, it doesn't really fit the rest of the game, but it's so memorable, I didn't care, and neither should you. Just love it. I might get a bit hate for not mentioning the Battlefield 3 soundtrack. The reason I didn't mention it is that I thought that the extra distortion didn't add the piece. I liked it and it suited the game, but to me the instrumental version is unbeatable.

2) Halo 3

This is a nice, orchestral piece. That's pretty much it. It fits the scale of the game, I suppose, but I always thought it was building up to something that didn't really deliver. I mean, wasn't Reach supposed to be the emotional climax? From this trailer you'd think that Halo 3 was meant to be the end of it all, and the music gives the same message. Oh well, maybe it's just me. I always thought that the Reach soundtrack was a little less emotional, despite the ending and the overall mood being more emotionally engaging.


Personally, I've never played Skyrim and I'm not a huge fan of the soundtrack but I have to admit, it gets the atmosphere across pretty effectively. I don't like the whole singing thing in Fus-Ro-Dah, and in the soundtrack I chose for the link in the title I thought it was a little less... stupid. In it, I felt that the singing added to the orchestral feel rather than acting like a massive distraction. In both cases, however, the actual tune is really good, I just didn't like the voices. It might just be something to do with getting caught up into the hype of the game, since all the people I know who like this theme play Skyrim.


I'm probably being a bit too negative, as this is my number 3 choice. It's just that I thought the singing was a bit of a cliche, although it's probably the best example of it that I've seen. Also, it's good that they're actually singing what could be considered a language, not just saying nonsense.


It's simple, yes, but that's the point. This soundtrack is creepy, sad, memorable and beautiful in equal measure, much like the game. All the tracks are brilliant simply because they're so simple. If a soundtrack ever fitted a game, this one does. Admittedly, it's not as polished as, say, Halo's but it doesn't matter. I think of them as a pure reflection of what I felt while playing Minecraft, which I know is a corny thing to say but it's true. I put the 'Calm 3' track link in the title because I thought it summed up everything I said best, but that's just my opinion and the others are also excellent. Perhaps the best thing about these songs is that they really capture the loneliness that is the core of the game (at least in singleplayer).


It may be generically militaristic, but this theme is surprisingly good for a real time strategy game. It works very well in game, and there are plenty of tracks so that they get familiar, but never boring. My choice was Risk, Relief and Victory, because I think that it has the most universal appeal, but the others are also good.

-PWN-

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's video game soundtracks... Star Wars is a film.

      Delete
    2. Nu'uh, Star Wars has a video game

      Delete
  2. Interesting thoughts, I love Skyrim's soundtrack but I have to say the whole of Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, Morrowwind...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, I was pretty biased towards the newer games, although I did refuse to include Battlefield 3.

      Delete
  3. You're also forgetting Animal Crossing Soundtracks, and Littke Big Planet. Left Bank 2 is perhaps the best theme song ever

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see support of Little Big Planet here. Agree. Left Bank 2 is most awesome soundtrack ever

    ReplyDelete